Our mission at Tiny Fry is to give parents the best possible advice and support and we often partner with companies that aim to do the same. Some links in this post may be from our partners. For more information, check out our affiliate disclosure.
There are so many pregnancy and baby products out there. So what do you do when you’re looking for the best pregnancy gifts for first-time moms?
I spent an embarrassing amount of money on absolutely ridiculous things that I was sure were going to serve me well, but they just gathered dust in the back of the closet.
That wipe warmer? A total waste of money. The mosquito net? There are no mosquitos where I live (but, well, you just never know!), the baby safety helmet (don’t even ask)…
So how on earth do you really truly know what’s worth spending your money on? How can you make sure you buy something that’s actually useful? What makes a perfect pregnancy gift? What are "the essentials" for expecting mothers?
Best Pregnancy Gifts for First-Time Moms
To answer these questions, we went straight to the experts.
We spoke to 32 mamas, with anywhere from 1 to 8 babies, who have "been there, done that” and were kind enough to share what their favorite products were.
Below are 80 of their essential, must-have, cannot-live-without, why-didn’t-I-get-this-sooner products for pregnant women and new moms. Even better: they tell us why they love these products and how they make your life easier.
Let's be honest: You’re not going to find unique insight like this anywhere else.
For a quick look at real moms’ top picks for expectant mothers, check out the table below and click on any of the items to learn more about that product.
For the full scoop on why these products make the perfect gifts for moms-to-be, keep scrolling!
Want to hear about the best discounts on baby products, toys, craft materials and all things kid-related? Join our Facebook group for promo codes and secret sales!
We've got you covered, whether you’re looking for
- a gift for your pregnant sister-in-law
- a pregnancy gift for your best friend
- a baby shower gift
- a special gift for a pregnant colleague, or
- gifts for a newly pregnant couple
From baby monitors to belly butter, the expectant mom in your life is in for one sweet treat if you snag her something from our epic mom gift guide.
Coconut Oil Cream
One product I absolutely couldn't live without in both of my pregnancies was coconut oil moisturizing cream.
This cream (not to be confused with belly oil) helped prevent stretch marks during my pregnancy and I still use it today because it smells so good and makes a wonderful lotion! I simply applied some after I showered and it kept the "tiger stripes" away!
- Moisturizing cream for dry and sensitive skin
- Restores deep hydration without being sticky or greasy
- Contains natural ingredients like organic lavender extract, aloe vera and chamomile
- Paraben-free and made in the USA
These muslin blankets were a game-changer in getting my babies to sleep through the night at about two months! They are lightweight but strong, so even if your baby is like Houdini, he/she will stay swaddled.
They also make wonderful burp cloths or a changing blanket to keep in your diaper bag. They are very high quality, so you can reuse them for any other babies you might have!
- Pre-washed super soft 100% cotton muslin blankets
- Perfect for wrapping and swaddling
- Breathable, cozy fabric reduces risk of overheating and is gentle on baby’s skin
- Can be used as tummy time blanket, nursing cover, burp cloths, stroller cover, or changing table cover
- Available in girl, boy, and unisez color schemes and prints
- Machine washable
I can’t explain the amount of time I wasted rummaging through my MASSIVE changing bag looking for wipes, cream, etc. These diaper clutches are compact and perfect for taking on the go.
I had never heard of these before and was given it as a gift when my daughter was born, but I could never go without it again! It’s amazing how something so simple can make your life so much easier.
- Handle attaches to anywhere
- Pocket holds wipes and multiple diapers
- Unfolds to 19” by 28” pad
- Slim design fits inside your diaper bag or purse
- Convenient and fashionable
Cocoa Butter Cream
This cream was an absolute lifesaver throughout my pregnancy. I used it once every night before bed, and I was absolutely amazed to find myself without a single stretch mark on my stomach after giving birth! This helped my confidence a lot.
With a changed body already and low moods after pregnancy, I was so thankful I wasn't covered in stretch marks on top of it all.
Some of the great ways a new mom can utilize the Echo Spot to help her out with baby are to play white noise sounds in the nursery during naps and at night, dim the lights, connect to your baby monitor to let you see your baby, add baby essentials to your Amazon order (such as diapers and wipes), read books, compose grocery lists, and all with voice activated commands so it makes everything super easy!!
Plus you can video chat with grandma and grandpa, find out the weather before going out on playdates, and listen to nursery rhymes during tummy time. It really is such a great and useful tool and I think every new mom would love to have one!
- Connects to Alexa, a cloud-based voice service, to play music, read the news, answer questions, set alarms, and more
- Ask Alexa to turn on the lights, show baby monitors, and lock your doors
- Call anyone almost hands-free, or make video calls to friends and family
- Alexa has tens of thousands of skills
This is definitely a must have for any new mom! You can't hold your baby all the time, no matter how much you want to. A baby swing is a great way to get even the crankiest little one to sleep soundly so that mommy can get some rest too, take a shower, get dinner on the table, etc.
- Small frame design fits in any room of your home, so you can keep baby close wherever you are
- Plug-in option lets you save money on batteries
- Gentle, side-to-side swaying motion soothes and comforts baby
- 2-speed vibration helps keep babies calm and relaxed
- Deep, plush set with removable head support keeps your baby cozy
An accurate thermometer is so important! We used many brands and styles before we found one that was super accurate. Some thermometers we found were between 1-3 degrees off, which was a big deal.
We have the Braun Thermoscan 5 and love it. Having an accurate thermometer is a big deal. It can determine whether your kids can stay home and rest or whether you need to make a trip to the ER.
- Gentle, easy, and accurate
- Top thermometer used by pediatricians
- Pre-warmed tip ensures accurate readings for newborns, infants and kids
- Reliable and easy to use
- Disposable lens filters & easy-to-clean digital & forehead thermometers keep it sanitary
Infant Support for Car Seats & Strollers
We had a car seat for when we brought our first newborn home, but we were shocked to find that the infant baby car seat didn’t hug or support the baby properly as a newborn. The nurses sent us home with a rolled towel to provide support and help keep our baby’s head up.
- Helps support baby’s head while seated in car seat, stroller, bouncer seat and infant swing
- Perfect for all babies and preemies
- Separate head support adjusts lengthwise as baby grows for custom fit
- Machine washable
Our baby spent a lot of time in a rocker during the day (and sometimes even at night), and we were able to use this support pillow for that as well. Great buy!
It’s difficult to bundle your baby in winter gear from head to toe and it isn't safe to put a baby in a full-size winter coat and buckle her into the car seat. In the end we would just put on a light fleece jumpsuit and zip the baby in her bundler instead of the coat. The baby went from car seat to stroller without having to use a coat.
Car Seat Footmuff
The bundler was warm enough to be used in the stroller (especially with the footmuff), and the lightweight jumpsuit allowed us to switch the baby from the car and into the Ergobaby carrier.
The fleece worked very well with temperature fluctuations, since it was easy to layer clothing depending on how cold or warm it was. Both items held up so well that we gifted them to a friend for her baby.
- Keeps infants and toddlers warm in winter
- Plush inner faux shearling and luxurious soft outer therma plush
- Easy to use with car seats as back panel can be removed
- Machine washable and easy to clean
Childbirth? After having six of my kids naturally, I know I can handle that pain. You get a cute baby at the end, so it's worth it in the end. But the afterpains? Those are the worst! With each baby I had, they hurt more and more. Thankfully I found Contract Ease.
I was skeptical, but desperate so I tried it. Honestly, this product tastes like you're licking a tree, it's very woody in taste. But, the taste is so worth the relief. It made my after pains go away so I could nurse without crying.
Towards the middle of each pregnancy, I develop a pretty severe case of pregnancy carpal tunnel. The first time I woke up with numb arms and tingly fingers, I had no idea what was wrong with me. I didn't even know pregnancy carpal tunnel was a thing!
But it is, and magnesium lotion helped me a lot. It's easy to apply and helped relieve the sharp pain so I could continue writing. As a bonus, this also helps alleviate pain from charley horses and other random leg cramps. Good stuff here!
Hands-Free Pumping Bra
I was pumping when I returned to work, so it was a huge help to have a good pumping bra that I didn't have to change into or out of. I wanted one that fit normally and when I wanted to pump (or nurse), I could fold down some layers. This option is also more sports bra than regular bra, so nothing poked or pinched.
- Seamless stretch fit accommodates your chest as it changes
- Panels pull down to expose more breast so it’s easier to nurse
- Fits most breast pumps
- Offers extra support, comfort, and shape
Memory Foam Body Pillow
I had terrible hip pain during my second pregnancy. When I was laying down I wasn't able to lay on my side and have my legs closed together without wincing in pain, so a body pillow was the only thing that helped me sleep at night! This one is amazing.
- #1 rated body pillow with over 4,000 positive reviews
- Made from hypoallergenic memory foam
- Provides proper orthopedic support
- Comes with an extra-breathable kool-flow micro-vented viscose bamboo cover
- Try it out for 4 months with a money-back guarantee
This model by Graco works wonders. For the first month my little ones slept in my room because it was easier for me with them waking up so much (and with me trying to recover).
At night I had it laying down as the bassinet and during the day I had it set up as a seat so they could see everything that was going on. Plus, whenever they fell asleep in the sitting position, it was easy to lay it down flat so they could sleep a little bit longer.
Another must-have is cloth diapers, but no, I didn’t use them as diapers. They’re perfect burp cloths! They absorb so much better than any other burp cloth I've tried!
Now my boys use them as their blankets to sleep at night! (Plus, if they lose one, I have tons of identical replacements!)
My mother's friend sent us a lovey and this was, and still is, the best and most peaceful product we have. My baby never accepted a pacifier or a milk bottle (even with my own milk), yet she accepted this little pink plush toy that would calm her down, comfort and protect her.
She doesn't sleep without it and can't go a day without taking it everywhere. I can count on it whenever she feels mad or sad.
Organic Coconut Oil
This is a natural product and will not harm you or the baby in any way. During my pregnancy, I found that coconut oil kept my skin soft and moisturized, and also prevented me from having lots of stretch marks. After my daughter was born, I've continued to use it and the few stretch marks I had are gone.
I also used this product on my nipples. Breastfeeding can be tough, especially the first couple of weeks. Coconut oil helped keep my nipples moisturized. I would apply some after every feed and I've never had to wipe the oil away before breastfeeding since it's a natural product.
During the third trimester, I felt more pain, especially in my lower back, and I also felt more pressure in my lower belly. This belly support band was a lifesaver for me. As soon as I put on the band I felt a big difference in pressure.
It was so much more comfortable to walk and it alleviated the pain. As I think it’s important to walk as much as possible during pregnancy, this support band helped me keep moving.
- More than 3,000 positive reviews
- Relieves discomfort by supporting your baby bump
- Helps with hip and pelvic pain
- Supports excess pregnancy weight and prevents straining on your back
- Corrects poor posture
- Supports weak abdominal muscles
- Ideal during and even after pregnancy
- Acts as a mini cradle for your baby
- More than 3,000 positive reviews
- Has a patented double loop design
- Slips on like a t-shirt
- Lets you carry your baby 5 different ways
- Can be used with preemies, infants, newborns and toddlers
- Supports ergonomic positioning
- Considered as “hip healthy” by the International Hip Dysplasia Institute
- 100% natural cotton jersey
Compression socks were a must for me with both my pregnancies. My ankles and feet swelled up like balloons! These socks are much more affordable now. You may need them while pregnant AND for the first week or two after baby is born!
One item I tell all new moms to get is this bouncer (though I didn’t get it until we were on our 3rd). I put this by my bed at night and by the kitchen window in the day to get the baby’s days and nights turned around.
- Over 1,000 positive reviews
- Deep, comfortable seat with soft, supportive head rest
- Comes with newborn insert
- 3-point restraint
- Calming vibrations and 20+ minutes of music/sounds
- Lightweight and non-skid
Fleece Swaddle Blanket
This blanket was game changer! It has the softest microfiber material inside, so I could swaddle my son naked and still keep him warm.
I even had it at the hospital and used it there instead of clothes, so that I could easily do skin-on-skin and had peace of mind knowing he was warm. The Velcro makes it easy to use, and it fit my 8 pound baby for at least a month or two.
This journal is the perfect gift for a mom or a mom-to-be. It can be overwhelming and time consuming to write pages and pages, and this one allowed me to write a few sentences each day about anything I wanted to remember. I absolutely love it!
Portable Sleep Nest
The snuggle nest sleeper is one of the best things I have ever purchased. Super convenient for keeping baby by you at night if that’s your thing. Baby and I both sleep better.
It's even designed so you can keep your hand up in the sleeper comfortably to check on baby or comfort them. Plus, no worries about zombie sleeping husband rolling over on a helpless infant!
Ergonomic Baby Carrier
Ergobaby is my favorite of all the infant snuggle sacks. It just feels better than any that I've tried. Baby sits comfortably against you, and two hands are always better than none!
I can get it on and off myself, and discovered that I’m not so smart with the wraps that require knots and twists and turns. This is much more my speed. It also has an attached cover that snaps on for sun, wind, and cold protection.
Video Baby Monitor
When we transitioned from co-sleeping to my son sleeping in a crib in the next room, he slept great and I slept horribly, as I couldn't see him. We ended up getting a baby monitor with video and it was so worth it to have peace of mind. I think this is an excellent gift for new moms and it's an absolute necessity for new parents so they can be as relaxed as possible.
- 2018 Best Baby Monitor Winner
- Lightweight and portable
- Pan, tilt and zoom features
- Robust, mature hardware
- No data is shared through the internet
- 2-way talk function
- Remote thermometer
- Long battery life
This is an excellent gift for expecting mothers. We tried to use cloth diapers but my son slept 95% better with disposable ones. By the time he was eating solids, we had a serious stink issue in the house. Not even a sealed garbage can can contain the stench of a yogurt-poop dirty diaper.
This product really kept the smell contained and was easy to use. Yes, it's a pain that you have to buy the special bags, but it's totally worth it to dispose of those gag-inducing dirty diapers. Though not very glamorous, this is a very thoughtful gift.
Baby Nail Clippers
Those sharp baby-dagger nails are intimidating to new parents. What worked easiest for us was cutting nails while the baby was awake, not asleep as commonly recommended (if the baby was sleeping, chances are I was, too). These are super easy to manage.
We'd make a routine of manicure time after the bath, and guess what? My 4-year-old clips his own nails now, he loves it so much.
Peppermint Foot Lotion
This Burt's Bees foot lotion was so helpful for me during my pregnancy. My feet were very swollen and sore and this soothed them. If you haven't been pregnant before, I should warn you: your feet will ache, no matter what kind of shoes you wear.
Of course, it's all worth it in the end when you get to meet your beautiful baby, but relief from pregnancy symptoms should always be welcomed.
- Moisturizes and softens heels and calluses
- Soothes and relieves pains, aches and soreness
- Contains peppermint oil, which relaxes the body
- 99.9% natural foot cream made
- Made with vegetable-based glycerin and coconut oil
Morning Sickness Candies
Preggie Pop Drops really helped me through my first trimester morning sickness. The sour taste is something that I craved as a pregnant woman and I wanted this candy all the time. These would make a great gift for an expecting mother.
- Eases morning sickness and a queasy tummy
- Contains natural essential oils and plant botanicals
- Comes with 48 candy drops
- Flavors include sour raspberry, green apple, tangerine, and sour lemon
- 100% safe for mom and baby
What to Expect When You're Expecting
This book was really great for me as a new mother. I had a hard time emotionally during my first pregnancy. As if becoming a new mom isn’t scary enough, I have severe anxiety, and even though I was excited, I was extremely nervous. This book helped me so much.
And even though nothing can prepare you fully for motherhood, it certainly was useful for me. There's no shortage of great books for first-time moms!
- Pregnancy, demystified
- Contains advice, information, tips and insight
- Accompanies moms-to-be throughout their pregnancies
- Includes chapter about everything: water birth, c-sections, working out, sex, etc.
Leather Diaper Backpack
My tip is to invest in a backpack diaper bag—not a Winnie the Pooh-style one, but a gutsy bag that doubles as a handbag. Carrying it as a backpack keeps my hands free with no added weight on my shoulders and arms. My favorite is the Overland Luella Cowhide Backpack.
It’s roomy enough to fit everything you need, it has a flat bottom so it stands upright, it's sturdy and fun, and despite being leather, it’s light even when it’s empty.
Birthing Tips DVD
I highly recommend this as a great gift for pregnant women! The ease of your baby’s birth is all in his or her position in the pelvis! “Spinning Babies” shows you how to flip a breach and encourage or maintain the correct position for an easier birth.
Gail Tully has created an awesome body of work and the results can be quite profound. I did the basic recommended movements, openers and postural suggestions, and I’m sure it made a huge difference in our natural home birth.
- Instructional video on how to prepare for birth
- Recommends daily activities to make space for birth position
- Video includes recommended stretches, advice on how to move and how to rest
- Includes many unique tips you won’t get elsewhere
Baby Language DVD
This video course teaches you how to interpret your baby’s sounds and cries. Personally I found this so incredibly helpful. There was a a lot of comfort in knowing for certain the difference between tired cries, hungry cries, gas cries and discomfort cries, and I felt so much more connected to my baby.
Also, your baby will feel so much more secure if he or she knows that you’re hearing them and responding to their specific needs.
- Learn about babies’ 5 distinct sounds
- Find out how to identify tiredness, hunger and discomfort
- Discover tips on communicating with your newborn (0 to 3 months)
- Interpret your baby’s sounds
Wrap Around Nursing Pillow
I was surprised to find that breastfeeding was so physically demanding on my body, especially on my shoulders and back. Comfort is key, I found, and the trick is that when you can completely relax, baby relaxes and everything works better!
I tried a few different support pillows and this wrap around model was my absolute favorite. The back strap means you’re totally supported. You can even walk around while breastfeeding and you barely have to hold baby up!
- Support proper posture
- Helps alleviate shoulder, back, neck and arm pain
- Comfortable for both baby and mom
- Has a pocket for storing nipple cream, lip balm or water
- Easy to wash, easy to store
Cloth diapers saved us a ton of money. Our first child was in NICU for 3 weeks and we were hit with major medical bills even after insurance paid its part.
I asked for cloth diapers as gifts from friends and family at our baby shower and invested in a high-quality brand of cloth diaper called BumGenius. They worked perfectly for my oldest and that’s all we used for the first year. Later she started using a disposable at bedtime and cloth during the day. This saved us a ton of money!
I loved the Halo SleepSack for my oldest. She loved it too, and slept great in it until the day she outgrew it. I felt more at peace swaddling her in that or using it to keep her warm at night because I knew it couldn’t come unwrapped like a blanket and cover her face or something awful.
- Hospitals’ #1 choice
- Help baby sleep safe from day 1
- Soft and stretchy material
- Inverted zipper for easy diaper changes
- Can be layered with warmer clothes for cold weather
- Reduces startle reflex
- Allows for self soothing
Gripe Water and Gas Relief Drops
I am pretty “crunchy” and I was hesitant to give anything to my babies at first, but both my kiddos were lip- and tongue-tied, so they had difficulty breastfeeding until we realized the issue and got that corrected. Gripe water must be made of unicorn tears and the Gas Relief Drops speak for themselves.
- Helps with infant gas and provides colic relief
- Eases tummy trouble and general fussiness
- A gentle, herbal remedy
- Contains fennel and ginger
- Relieves pain from excess gas in minutes
- Safe for newborns
- Recommended by pediatricians
- No artificial dyes, alcohol, parabens or saccharin
The Deluxe Bouncer was the only thing my son would sleep in until he was 8 months old. It kept him cradled and snug and I could easily put it right by the bed or move it to the living room. You can make it vibrate with just the touch of a button!
Curved Pregnancy Pillow
I could not have gotten to sleep once my belly got bigger without this pillow! I even slept with it for a while after my son was born, I loved it so much. It cushions and snuggles all your parts, especially the ones that are growing.
I loved these bottle warmers. You can take them anywhere. No hunting for hot water. You pop the disc and you've got a warm bottle in just a few minutes. This was a lifesaver on the go.
I think most mamas can relate to having a breastfed baby who's pretty finicky about bottles—that temperature has to be just right! I used it at the zoo, at children's museums, everywhere!
I love the ring slings from LILLEbaby. Levi was a big baby, so a lot of the other wraps got way too small, way too fast. The ring sling accommodated his big size, and since he had reflux, he wanted to be held upright all the time! Once again, I carried him in this sling everywhere!
If you plan on nursing, you'll want to have a food-grade nipple cream. I loved the nipple cream from Motherlove and used it multiple times a day for the first few months of nursing with both of my kids. It helps prevent cracks and keeps everything ultra-moisturized. Pro-tip: always, always use it before you hop in the shower!
This is an item that I wish I would have known about for my first child! If you have an independent eater, or want to promote independent eaters, you need these! They're great for bites of yogurt and soft foods for your youngest eaters and halved blueberries for older kids.
Lanolin Cream & Electric Breast Pump
"You'll love breastfeeding! Breastfeeding feels a-m-a-z-i-n-g!" Or so was I told when I got pregnant. However, I came to realize that, apart from helping me feel deeply connected with my baby, breastfeeding could actually hurt like hell! Only after I started using this amazing lanolin cream and this gentle electric breast pump was I able to enjoy my breastfeeding experience.
- Compact, lightweight motor
- Research-based patented design lets you pump more milk in less time
- Can be plugged in and also operates on batteries
- Fits in your purse
- Convenient, quiet and effective
Nursing Tank Tops
The Rosie Pope pregnancy tanks are so soft and comfortable, I used them during pregnancy, after birth, and I even still wear them now! They were great for breastfeeding as you could detach the straps. Breastfeeding shirts are a great option if the mom-to-be plans on nursing.
This helped relieve pregnancy pain and was great for afterbirth pain as well! My midwife even recommended it, as I tore during pregnancy and I think pure epsom salt definitely helped with the healing process as well. The perfect product for a nice bath soak!
This is still a vital part of our bedtime routine and my daughter just turned one! This soother plays music, but you can also turn the sea setting on, which light up as the fish swim around. It is so cute and my daughter loves it.
- 25 minutes of lights effects
- Adjustable light and volume
- Fits most crib rails
- Remote control works from 12 feet away
- Best-selling aquarium crib soother
- Gradually softens lights and sounds every 10 minutes
Classic Nursing Pillow
I was obsessed with my Boppy Pillow! It helps with positioning baby while breastfeeding, but it also makes a great cozy spot for baby to nap! My daughter loved getting cozy in her Boppy.
Baby fits snugly inside to prevent falling or rolling over. It’s so convenient for traveling as well. Baby can sleep anywhere in the Boppy!
Pack n Play
The #1 item that helped me out as a new mom was this pack n play, which I used as a second diaper changing station on the main floor of my home.
My house is not big, but you're going to be changing far more diapers than you think. Having to walk up and down those stairs to the changing table in your nursery is going to get old, very fast, especially when you just pushed a baby out.
This product also has a changing table insert. It also comes with a bassinet, which we were able to use, as well as storage on the side, which was great. Whenever there was a blow out or a spit up incident, we were never far from what we needed to take care of it.
We loved it so much it stayed up in our house for her entire first year. It is a definite must have in my book!
One of my biggest fears was bath time. Newborns are so little and fragile, and the thought of trying to handle them while they are wet and slippery terrified me.
This tub is an insert that you place inside your sink and it's simply awesome!
I also love this spout cover, which can be used in your regular tub at home for when your little one gets older. It helped take the stress out of bath time and made our bedtime routine so much easier.
- Fits over the faucet to deflect the flow of water
- Soft material guards against injury
- Creates a gentle waterfall
- Fits most standard faucets
- Dispenses bubble bath
Stroller and Car Seat
When looking for a stroller, we decided to get one where we could just simply click our car seat in and out of the stroller frame and into the car. This model was such a game changer for us because it made it so easy to get out and about with a newborn.
It was especially nice for when she fell asleep in her car seat, since we could simply click her back into the car and get on our way. It also eliminated the need to carry her around everywhere while we had a ton of other items to carry as well.
We chose this Chicco model because it was affordable and came with a stroller that would grow along with our little one.
- Stroller has removable seat for easy transformation
- Folds up with one hand
- Has a parent tray with storage and cup holders
- Easy-to-wash fabric
- Works with the Chicco Key Fit 30 Infant Car Seat
- For kids weighing 4 to 30 pounds
I highly recommend a nursing cover (Check out this article for more on nursing cover options). By my 4th baby I became really good at nursing discretely without using a cover. But when you have your first, and you're not quite adept at it yet, a lot of moms feel shy nursing in front of other people.
This product is great because you can just hang it around your neck and it stays in place. There’s also a little boning at the top so that mom can look down and see baby, but people around her can't see anything.
- Extra wide to fully cover you
- Extra large burp cloth is sewn in, making it easy to transition after feeding
- Rigid neckline lets you maintain eye contact with baby
- Neckline also lets you see that you have a good latch
- Comes with carrying pouch
- 2017 National Parenting Products Award Winner
- Baby Maternity Magazine’s Top Choice Award for 2018
Jogging Stroller and Car Seat
You definitely need an infant carrier/stroller travel system. I used one by Graco, and now they actually have a jogger version, which I really wish they'd had when my kids were babies!
The reason I loved it: I could easily pick up the infant carrier from the car, click it into the stroller, and go anywhere. Never had to wake a sleeping baby, never had to break my back carrying a heavy load.
And there was so much storage in the stroller for carrying all my baby stuff, plus cup holders! You can also use the stroller without the car seat for a convenient changing area or a high chair for older babies when you're out and about.
- Stroller folds up with one hand in one second
- Air-filled rubber tires makes for a smooth ride on all types of terrain
- Switch from strolling to jogging by locking front swivel wheel
- Seat reclines for baby’s comfort
- Comes with Graco SnugRide 35 Infant Car Seat
- For babies weighing 4 to 35 pounds
By the time my 3rd and 4th babies came along, we were running out of space in our house. We've since moved to a bigger place, but this thing was a lifesaver at the time.
It's about the size of a little bassinet, but with only 3 sides. The 4th side goes right up against the side of your bed, and you strap it down between your mattress and box spring to make sure it doesn't move.
You can have your baby sleeping right next to you, but in his or her own space. When the baby wakes up in the middle of the night, you're right there to feed him, then go right back to sleep. No need to get out of bed!
- Can be used as a standalone bassinet or side-sleeper
- Exceeds US safety regulations
- Height adjustable to accommodate bed heights
- Has storage pockets for diapers, wipes, etc.
- Comes with waterproof mattress encasement and a washable sheet
Deluxe Diaper Bag
I recommend getting a really well-made bag with lots of pockets and lots of room. I pretty much lived out of my diaper bag until my kids were toddlers. Everything I could possibly need was in that bag.
I would fill it out with all the baby essentials, snacks, extra water, toys, even things for me like hand sanitizer, lip balm, an extra protein bar, plus things you might not think of like safety pins, rubber bands, a lint brush. This bag was my lifeline.
- Fashionable, large backpack that holds all essentials
- High quality, waterproof with strong zippers
- 17 internal and external pockets
- 2 large separated compartments
- Insulated pockets for bottles and sippy cups
Portable Play Yard
We did a lot of traveling, camping, and spent a lot of time outside. As a mom, I was a little worried about bugs and critters if I laid the baby on a blanket on the ground, so I always brought a portable play yard. I wanted something simple so it would be lightweight and easy to set up. It made traveling with baby so easy.
I often used it around the house, too. I would set it up in the living room so I could get a few things done without having to worry about her getting into things.
I could throw a couple of toys in the play yard and she was content to play in a contained space. It made life a little easier and more manageable.
- 50% larger than traditional play yards
- 10 square feet of play space
- Mesh windows so you can see your baby
- Comes with 100% cotton fitted sheet and travel bag
- Easy to move thanks to the two wheels
Home Birth Pool
I knew I wanted to have a home birth and had always been intrigued by water birth, so I ordered this pool. Still, I wasn't sure that water birth was for me until I was actually in labor. Nothing but water felt welcoming to my body and I was so glad to have this pool ready to go.
Now I cannot imagine giving birth unless I'm in water—it just feels so natural for both the newborn and for myself. While in labor the water enables me to move, and thus help the little one move, whereas without a birth pool I would not feel like I was able to move and flow during the labor process.
Leather Baby Shoes
When my little girl started walking, she wasn't used to wearing shoes and rejected hard-soled shoes. I was thrilled to find the Bobux line of soft-soled leather shoes which caressed, protected and accommodated her extra large feet. Bobux has a wide range of styles for both girls and boys.
- Made from 100% buttery leather
- Conforms to baby’s feet
- Keeps them warm in winter and cool in summer
- Approved by the American Podiatric Medical Association
- Use of elastic means shoes go on easily and they stay on
Double Feeding Station for Twins
This was an absolute lifesaver for bottle feeding twins. This double feeding station allows you to feed both babies at once, saving time and allowing you to sit in a comfortable position while feeding.
Before using this, it took me so much time to feed one baby, then the next baby and by the time they were both back to sleep, the first baby would wake up again shortly thereafter, leaving little time for sleep. Plus, when you have a second baby screaming for a bottle it gets a little stressful to try and hurry the first one to finish!
For a single baby, or for twins, my favorite glider was absolutely the mamaRoo. This was like the baby whisperer—it instantly put our kids to sleep. I kicked myself for not having this with our first child.
- Bluetooth baby rocker with 5 motions
- 4 built-in sounds plus MP3 player
- Seat fabric is machine washable
- Seat reclines for maximum comfort
- Control the seat from your phone
- Comes with interactive reversible toy balls
While the swing was OK, the fact that I could change the motions and this never ran out of battery power was a lifesaver. We had bouncers, swings, and rock n plays but I would say take all the money you would spend on those and just get the mamaRoo. It’s so worth it!
Food Pouch Holders
With how easy and convenient it is to use baby food pouches, they are a nightmare when your kid inevitably squeezes them everywhere. The easy pouch is awesome because it keeps your child from squeezing their fruits or veggies and saves your floor!
Deluxe Baby Lounger and Co-Sleeper
The DockATot Deluxe is a baby lounger and co-sleeper that babies can use up to 9 months, or in our case, until he started crawling out of it!
We were not the types of parents who ever thought we would be co-sleeping with our baby, but when he was not sleeping at night we wanted to find the safest way possible to do so. We absolutely loved our DockATot.
- Reinvents the womb with snug, soothing environment
- Facilitates tummy time
- Made with fabric that create a microclimate
- Easy to travel with
- Perfect for co-sleeping and bed sharing
The Babyganics Face, Hand & Baby Wipes are wipes that you can use for diaper changes and easy clean up. I love that they are sensitive and can be used on baby’s face as opposed to abrasive wipes that can irritate their skin!
I found these especially useful in the early months when milk would drip down their necks and get caught in the folds during feedings. We would always wipe his neck with these and then pat dry with a tissue to prevent irritation.
- No parabens, sulfates, phthalates, fragrances or artificial dyes
- Made with plant-derived ingredients
- Tested by pediatricians and dermatologists
- Easy to travel with
- Perfect for co-sleeping and bed sharing
Organic All-Purpose Balm
The Honest Organic All-Purpose Balm is great for healing baby’s skin when it’s irritated. I love that it’s all natural and doesn’t have an odor. Often times we would wipe the neck or diaper area that was irritated with baby wipes, pat dry with a tissue, and then apply this balm. The area would heal overnight!
Baby Formula Maker
The Baby Brezza Formula Pro is sent straight from heaven! It perfectly measures, blends and warms each bottle with the press of a button! All you have to do is refill the formula and water.
Keeping it clean is also super easy. My son was 4 weeks early and my milk never came in, so formula feeding was our only option and this made it a breeze for his whole first year!
- Makes a warm formula bottle instantly
- Perfect consistency thanks to patented mixing technology
- Fully customizable
- Works with almost all formula brands and bottles
U-Shaped Pregnancy Pillow
Getting good sleep when you feel like you're as big as a house is no joke. For that reason, I craved my pregnancy pillow and truly couldn't sleep without it. It made me feel like I was falling into a cloud each night and allowed me to be comfortable while I slept.
- U-shaped design
- Supports back, spine, hips, belly, legs, and neck
- Eases discomfort associated with pregnancy
- Perfect for side, back and stomach sleepers
- High-density soft cotton filling
For those weird in-between sizes that pregnancy brings out, hello belly band! I had these bad boys in every color possible and they truly saved me money throughout each of my three pregnancies.
Sure, I eventually had to buckle down and buy maternity pants, but in the mean time I loved my belly bands!
- Nylon and spandex, machine washable
- Ultra-soft, tagless band that stays put
- Allows you to use unbuttoned pre-pregnancy pants
- Provides support from 1st trimester through postpartum
- Adjusts to your changing body
Pregnancy Memory Book
Filling out a pregnancy journal was something I looked forward to each week. Reading about the progress of my soon-to-be babe, as well as documenting the journey we were sharing, is something that I loved doing and look back on fondly. Now that my children are older, they have appreciated getting insight into those 9 months that we shared.
- Helps you remember special moments each month
- Keep track of prenatal appointments and trimester checklists
- Includes space to daydream about the nursery and brainstorm baby names
- Made Amazon Book Review’s Best Picks for Expecting Mothers
After she was born, I liked to relax with a cup of tea but often worried that if I was holding her, I might spill on her somehow. I never did, but a tired mother comes up with all sorts of things to worry about, right?! That's when I found this mug.
You can use it with loose or bagged tea, or add hot water with slices of fruit. No matter what your drink of choice, the lid was great for keeping my mind at ease and now I use it as a travel mug!
I'm Samara, the mom of 2 behind this blog. If you liked this article, stick around and check out some more of my stuff!
White Noise Machine
We live in a city, so between the ambulances, the neighbors, and general noise from the street, I’m slightly hysterical about the babies waking up.
This is a great little machine with multiple sounds and a timer, and it’s compact and portable to boot! This would make a great baby shower gift!
- Comes with 6 soothing lullaby sounds
- Compact and portable
- Adjustable volume
- Natural sounds can help your baby relax
- Auto-off timer with 3 options
Double Jogging Stroller
Our first stroller was not a Baby Jogger, but we invested in one of the brand’s models when we had our second child. Best. Decision. Ever.
This stroller might as well push itself. It’s super easy to maneuver (even with one hand!), it glides effortlessly over all kinds of terrain, and the materials are extremely high quality.
It’s got huge basket underneath and your kids are protected by the enormous, heavy-duty canopies. You can use it as a single or a double stroller and there are more than a dozen different configurations for the seats. It’s definitely an investment, but one you won’t regret, and it makes a seriously awesome gift for an expecting mom.
- Can be used as a single or double stroller
- 20 different configurations
- Smooth ride and can be steered with one hand
- Extended UV50 canopies
- Large seat pockets and giant basket underneath
External Hard Drive
A friend of mine got this for me when I was pregnant. Understandably, my reaction was, “Um… what?” But this is actually a very useful idea and it would make a wonderfully thoughtful gift.
Baby is born. Photos are taken. About 500,000 of them. Does she keep them on her phone forever? Does she put together photo albums every month? No, she stores them on an external hard drive, dedicated solely to photos of her little bundle of joy. A very unique gift idea. What mama-to-be wouldn’t love that?
Baby Handprint Kit
I got one of these when my daughter was born, so I can confirm that it's a wonderful gift for a pregnant lady. These kinds of pregnancy keepsake frames (and sonogram frames, for example) are fantastic because they offer a super easy and lovely way to preserve memories of your little bundle of joy.
If you're still not sure after reading our massive list of pregnancy gift ideas, below are some super useful tips.
1. A gift registry immediately takes the pressure off. It’s win-win because you have fewer items to choose from and whatever you pick you know the mom-to-be will love it! So before you hit the shops, ask if there’s a registry to refer to; you’ll be glad you did!
2. Practical may sound boring, but trust us, new moms will thank you for hooking them up with the essentials. If you’ve got little ones, what items do you use the most? What are the things that make your everyday routine run smoothly? (We know laundry baskets and hampers aren’t glamorous, but they sure are necessary!)
3. Do your friends define you by your job? Do you have a particular hobby that you talk about all the time? When picking out a pregnancy gift, capitalize on these aspects of your identity. For example, if you're a chef, consider gifting a baby food maker; if you're obsessed with space, how about a baby mobile decorated with stars and planets?
4. If you know the baby's gender, it will be easier to choose a traditional gift. But if the baby's gender is a surprise, play it safe and pick something that would work for every little one (think neutral colors, educational toys and more practical items.)
5. You can't go wrong with a gift that will stimulate baby's five senses. Anything that will keep baby occupied or pave the way to genius is bound to be appreciated (think books, mobiles, puzzles, musical toys, etc.)
6. Is the new mom desperate for a stroller, a changing table or another big-ticket item? Consider getting a bunch of friends together and chipping in to purchase the gift she really (really!) needs.
7. If there's a baby name picked out, use this to your advantage! Paint the name on a step stool, embroider it on a blanket, or frame it in a picture. Believe us when we tell you that a new moms will think everything is adorable and perfect emblazoned with her special name.
8. You can't go wrong with traditional presents like picture frames, blankets, booties, photo albums, brush and comb sets, silver rattles and spoons, etc. While this gifts may be predictable, they're often the ones that are cherished as keepsakes for years to come.
9. What toys did you love as a kid? Did you have a favorite stuffed animal or books that you read over and over again? Go out and shop for the same (or similar) items! When you give them to the new mom, be sure to share your awesome memories.
10. At this moment in time, all the focus is on the new arrival, so it's easy to forget that the new mom also needs (lots of) attention too. Surprise her with things that she'd never pick for herself: lotion, pillows, slippers, etc.
And there you have it!
You truly can’t go wrong with any of these recommendations for gifts for expecting moms, but since you know the mom-to-be better than we do, think about which of these tried-and-tested products would serve her well, and go for it.
Would she love to document her journey? Get her a pregnancy journal. Is she stressed about stress marks? Belly butter is in order.
Is she sore and achey? Pick out a killer bath bomb. Is she a fashionista? Find a trendy maternity shirt!
Skip the generic one-size-fits-all pregnancy gift basket, gift box, gift set and bump boxes. Heck, skip the gift certificates and gift cards. Celebrate her baby bump in a meaningful, thoughtful way.
Whether it’s a pregnancy gift for a first-time mom or for her kiddo, the simple act of getting her something is a lovely gesture.
Now, get her something awesome that she can actually use, something that will truly make her life easier, and you’ll probably be asked to be a godparent.